Wednesday, April 7, 2010




My apologies for not posting anything yesterday, but I was SO tired. It was a busy day from taking Ben to his first doctor visit (we got medicine to kick this cold of his), to the zoo, to the riverboat cruise, and finally “home” to the hotel.

The zoo was hot and moist and most of the animals were off sleeping, especially the cats. But anyone with cats knows they spend 80% of their time sleeping, anyway. There was a panda and he was awake, so we got a few pictures. I don’t know if Ben understood what he was seeing, but at least we have the memories. The llamas were more up close and personal (including licking my hand), so I think he had a good time with them.

This was not the Guangzhou Zoo; this was the smaller zoo with less animals, but after a couple of hours of walking in the steamy place, I was fine with the smaller version. We did, of course, buy Ben a panda bear (stuffed).

This was where the cold started. Yes, I have Ben’s cold. Awfully nice of him to share, right? Nancy’s getting it as well. Should make the flight home awesome!

We got back to the hotel with plenty of time to change and shower before the riverboat cruise. We had Papa John’s pizza for dinner. But for a few spotty, rainy moments, the cruise was great. We were on a replica of a dragon boat (see photos), a three-level affair complete with wooden stairs, dining room, and an upper deck which afforded us a great view of the Pearl River and the buildings that line the river.

Back to the hotel and I fell asleep. A cold and a long day out will do that.

The ride to the doctors and the zoo afforded us a view of some really interesting architecture, though I didn’t have my camera out for the doctor’s visit, I got some great shots on the zoo ride. I’ll post them shortly.

Today was another busy day, though less exciting. The morning was the exit meeting, where I learned what happens between now and landing in Newark (we’re really going back to the U.S. of A.? Wow…). Customs and Immigration and Visas, oh my.

This afternoon was the consulate visit and oath-taking ceremony, where we, along with 31 other couples and their children, took an oath that all the paperwork we’ve filled out is true to the best of our knowledge and ability. This makes us official parents. Bwa-ha-ha. Between the ride and the waiting, it took about 3 hours for all that.

We went out with 2 other couples (our last dinner in China) to a Cantonese restaurant, as Nancy thought that would be fun. There’s a saying ‘round these parts: The Catonese will eat anything with four legs except chairs and tables. Or two legs or more than four legs or even no legs. The chef’s Double Delight was some kind of worm and bug dish. Some kind of larva and worm thing. We did not order that. We did order a noodle dish, a rice and shrimp dish, a steak dish, and a pork dish. Steve was brave enough to order pigeon, or more properly, rice with pigeon meat. I tired it. Surprisingly unremarkable. But at least I can tell all the folks back home I had pigeon. At least it didn’t look like it did when it was alive!

And here we are. Tomorrow we leave by train for Hong Kong after picking up Ben’s visa. Liz and Steve, and their son Lucas, are coming with us all the way to Newark, so we’ll have another couple to get lost with! Then they’re taking another plane home to Harrisburg, PA. Fifteen hours and thirty minutes. That’s how long the flight from Hong Kong to Newark is. We leave HK at 10:30 am on the 9th and get home at 1:30 pm on the 9th. Back in time.

It’s been quite an adventure, though it’s not quite over. Once we’re home, I’ll sort through the 1,000+ photos and put more up in the Yahoogroup and also on the blog. Sorry I didn’t do a photo-a-day, but I thought of it too late. Don’t worry, there’ll be plenty of photos coming!

So how’s it feel to be a father? It was a lot smoother when I wasn’t sick. Trying to fight a cold and deal with a 16-month-old ain’t fun. But there will be more colds along the way, so I best get used to it. His smiles still warm my heart, and as scared as I was about being a dad (more than a father), right now, I’m digging this.

The other night I said, in my best Darth Vader impression, while he sat in my lap and I held the back of his head in my palm: Ben, you shall do as I say. You will listen to me as I am your authority figure. Benjamin Rui, I am your father.

He smiled and laughed. Yup. He’s my son.


Peace,
Gary . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment