Ok we are home take 2…lil man is asleep on the couch at 11a I gave up and got daddy because I was exhausted that cold he gave us is a whopper!
Of course for Gary he went to sleep within 30 minutes on the couch on daddy. I slept till @ 230p then got up thinking I need to not get out of whack for day and night again.
But our little boy here has been on china time all his life so it will take more than a few days to change this internal time clock.
Take 3 Sunday afternoon:
The most challenging part of this journey was definitely Hong Kong as far as language barriers are concerned. We left the hotel after a brief morning of purchasing CDs of children’s music, a pop album for him to hear what was popular when he was born and a Chinese classical set of lute music. Some memory and culture for us all. We boarded the Bus to go back to the consulate for the visa papers. After an hour we wondered why they didn’t have chairs in the lobby…not sure how much longer we were there but once we had the papers we were whisked off to the train station. Our guide stayed with us until we entered the boarding area. After that nothing was in English even as a secondary signage or message. We got up to get on the train when everyone started moving and showed our tickets to the attendants hoping we got on the correct train. We also neglected to ask if this was a one stop or local to know when to get off. It seemed like we were making stops but no one else got on or off really. When the train stopped and everyone got off so did we. Nothing said Hong Kong we went through immigration and got our bags and hoped our guide would be outside. Sam was luckily and Liz the other mother and I were grateful to hear we had indeed made it to Hong Kong. The kids had napped during the day but were tired. It was a 45 minute van trip to again get to a hotel. We checked into an amazing modern hotel and did not have anytime to explore as it was already 10pm. We got the crib shallow and rickety and room service. So at 12a we decided he had to sleep in the bed. He was very unsure of this whole idea. He looked at the crib and at me but if I tried laying him in the crib it was a cryfest again. Then it was inconsolable crying in the bed. I finally propped myself up and had him lay on my chest, he drifted to sleep in fits and starts and all his bony parts were pressing on me so that I could not sleep. If I tried readjusting there was crying again. I finally adjusted him so that I was more comfortable and he was asleep enough to not freak out. By this time it was 4am and I had a whole 2 hours sleep before our 15 hour plane ride. Needless to say with the cold and lack of sleep I was not doing so well Friday morning. I found a homeopathic remedy I had packed and that settled my nerves thankfully. Daddy got a little more sleep but I was the one to bring him onto the plane. We checked out earlier than the guide had suggested and made it to the gate without stopping for breakfast with 5 minutes to boarding. Thank goodness for the paranoid moms’ who did not want to be left behind missing our flight we chose to get the day started so early. We stopped after the security check to get water at a Starbucks right by the gate for the kid’s formula. After spending 52 Hong Kong dollars on 2 bottles of water and an OJ I was told that I could not take it on board! I was livid. I tried pleading that the child had not eaten yet (he was barely awake when we checked out still in PJs) but even for his formula they would not bend the rules. We had to wait for take off and leveling out for beverage service even when I asked a stewardess for water as soon as it was available for the baby’s formula. Again I was not pleased by this customer service. We did manage to get water after a while and Ben was asleep by the time the meal was served. He was awake for the “snack” which was not really very good grisly meat and soggy pita. I gave him a little because he needed to eat but then tossed the rest. Gary and I both opted for power bars instead of that mess. It is not a good sign when the stewardess does not want to tell you what they have for you. I asked 3 times to find out if it was ok for baby then Gary had to nearly grab her to get an answer. Poor baby he slept through the last meal as well. I had snacks and gave him 2 bottles during the flight when he woke up. He slept in short spurts and was passed between us as he wanted or we could manage. He did much better!!!!! On this flight THANK GOD!!!!!!!!! I had brought him in and we went to the window to play and see what was going on outside. He did ok a few periods of frustrations and crankiness but nothing like that first flight.
Poor Gary had a blistering headache and pain in his shoulder for the flight that caused him to be able to sleep.
When we got off we followed our travel companions through immigration and customs. We hugged and said goodbye, Liz has promised a June party for everyone who can come that will be nice to see how the kids have developed in the 2 plus months we are home. When we left them we found our welcome home committee and there were hugs and tears and so much happiness as the sleepy boy was adored by grandma, grandpa and Aunt Kristen and Aunt Christie. Grandpa had decided to bring all his presents and filled his trunk. Hmm where were the suitcases supposed to go? Well after some exhausted negotiations and redirection it was worked out. The men went back to exchange the last of our Chinese and Hong Kong currency and girls went to fix the car seat. After a bit of readjusting the seat was set and Ben was ok with it no fuss. I was surprised.
The boys got home first and there were balloons and a it’s a boy sign at the house waiting. Thank you my neighbors. The girls were a bit later getting home due to a turn around on 78.
We let Ben check out the house and open presents from Grandpa, Aunt Kristen and Great Grandma and Grandpa. He was asleep by 7pm I thought we would be home free after getting into the crib he would sleep the night. NOT… up at 930p but I was barely able to pat his back I was so exhausted. Gary took over and I slept. Ben was back to sleep by 1230a until 430a when I got up. See the beginning for the continuation there.
I think we are caught up Ben has been sleeping in 4-5 hour spans and is completely off his game. I have to find a crib activity center to help and grandma brought a lamp for his room. I am hoping to coax him back into a crib by tonight/tomorrow. He is currently asleep on the Living room floor. We made it to 1:30p today after going to coffee hour at church. Everyone loved him and his smiley presence.
I think I’ve adapted well to the time change but my days on night shift have a lot to do with that. The only thing making me tired is Ben’s sleeping pattern and my cold now.
Gary is beat and I hope he will be able to sleep tonight so he can work tomorrow this is the bummer of tax season.
peace
Nancy
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment